Re: Shutdown due to thermal event (sid)

> ==========================
> Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2005 17:20:29 -0500
> From: Hugo Vanwoerkom <hvw59601@care2.com>
> To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> Subject: Re: Shutdown due to thermal event (sid)
> ==========================
>
> But you said the shutdown was/is because of a BIOS thermal event.
> How do you know if there is nothing in the logs?
The BIOS itself, during POST, makes very funny noises (instead of the customary two beeps) and then stops with a message stating that the system was shut down due to termal event.
I have to acnowledge it by pressing F4.
Then the boot proceeds normally.
One other strange thing is some of the filesystems I have are found "clean".
In the event of a catastrophic crash I would expect to find all the mounted filesystems dirty.
What am I missing?

> My BIOS has a section "PC Health Status", that has in it a "shutdown
> temperature" enable/disable. Do you have something like that?
I see nothing to that effect.
I only have a "monitoring" option that shows temperatures, voltages and fan speeds.
If there is some control funcrtion must be hidden somewhere else.
Next time I reboot I will have a closer look to all the options in order to see if I missed something.
BTW: Murphy strikes again: this night the system survived with no problems :)

> wmtemp is a temperature monitor, it does not record. I wrote
> the recording function myself.
On, thanks. I will do likewise.

Any idea about the fan-control problem?

Thanks for Your time