Not enough ptys + udev

Hi all,

Recently, startx stopped working for all users on my laptop,  due to:

 > xterm: Error 32, errno 2: No such file or directory
 > Reason: get_pty: not enough ptys

since startx is still working for root, i suspect misconfiguration
of the devices access privileges has occurred.
So, will anybody tell me what is the right set up for devices,
expecially for /dev/null, /dev/console, /dev/pts, /dev/pty* /dev/ptms ?

I am using udev and kernel 2.6.13.2 (not debian packaged)
I am not sure, but it is possible that such misbehavior occurred after
the installation of the udev package. Any help?

thank you

--
pol