Re: Shutdown due to thermal event (sid)

> ==========================
> Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2005 10:32:51 -0500
> From: Hugo Vanwoerkom <hvw59601@care2.com>
> To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> Subject: Re: Shutdown due to thermal event (sid)
> ==========================
>
> Mauro Condarelli wrote:
> > Hi,
> > It is now some time I get nightly shutdowns "due to thermal
> event" (so the Bios says).
>
> What exactly do you see and where at the moment of the shutdown?
absolutely nothing.
Once I was at the PC when it simply shut down for no apparent reason (I did NOT have the teplerature monitor on, at that time.

There is *NO* trace of reason whatsoever in the log files. e.g.:

Oct 27 20:18:42 localhost -- MARK --
Oct 27 20:38:42 localhost -- MARK --
Oct 27 20:58:42 localhost -- MARK --
Oct 27 21:18:42 localhost -- MARK --
Oct 27 21:38:42 localhost -- MARK --
Oct 27 21:58:43 localhost -- MARK --
----------> reboot <------------
Oct 27 22:24:50 localhost syslogd 1.4.1#17: restart.
Oct 27 22:24:50 localhost kernel: klogd 1.4.1#17, log source = /proc/kmsg started.
Oct 27 22:24:50 localhost kernel: Inspecting /boot/System.map-2.6.12-1-686
Oct 27 22:24:50 localhost kernel: Loaded 27754 symbols from /boot/System.map-2.6.12-1-686.
Oct 27 22:24:50 localhost kernel: Symbols match kernel version 2.6.12.

What should I install to monitor what's happening?

> Turn off the BIOS thermal event shutdown function.
> I have it turned off and my AMD Thouroughbred runs about 40C
> at idle and about 52C at full load.
I see no explicit function to disable or otherwise trim the thermal event behaviour in my BIOS.
Can You be a little more specific?

> I have a monitor running that records the CPU temp at 5 min ivals.
> So I can check exactly what it is and when.
again: what shoild I monitor and how?

The main problems seems to be that the fan mamagement does not seem work at all.
I don't know what I should check, though.

Thanks
Mauro