Re: Desktop Crashes

debian@lamie.net wrote:

>I love my new Debian distro because the package management is great.
>However, I have been having serious problems with the desktop, both
>Gnome and KDE.
>Firefox regularly crashes during downloads or when clicking an upload
>button on a html form or when encountered with websites like ebay, which
>make heavy use of javascript.
>Also GIMP crashes as soon as I ask it to save something, which as you can
>imagine is pretty annoying.
>Never had these problems with SuSE or other distros but don't want to go
>back to them as I love the debian package management system.
>As I usually work in the console only I have zero knowledge of the
>desktops and have no clue where to start looking in order to
>troubleshoot this problem. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the
>desktop many times but it has made no difference, the problem is still
>there. I have even reinstalled the entire distro but the problem still
>recurrs.
>Everyone I have spoken to who uses Debian has not experienced these
>problems and so I am wondering if the problems are related to conflicts
>with my hardware. I have installed on amilo pro laptop. Sorry I can't
>gove any more information about the problem.
>
>Any pointers in the right direction of where to start looking in order to
>troubleshoot this problem would be much appreciated.

My first step would be to check /var/log/messages and /var/log/syslog.
Look for *any* kind of error messages.  With the programs like Firefox
or The GIMP, I would run those programs from a command line, so that
when they crash, you might be able to see (in the console) some clue as
to why they died.

Good luck.  I can assure you that Debian is normally very well behaved.

--

Mitch Wiedemann
Webmaster - Ithaca Free Software Association