Desktop Crashes

I love my new Debian distro because the package management is great.
However, I have been having serious problems with the desktop, both
Gnome and KDE.
Firefox regularly crashes during downloads or when clicking an upload
button on a html form or when encountered with websites like ebay, which
make heavy use of javascript.
Also GIMP crashes as soon as I ask it to save something, which as you can
imagine is pretty annoying.
Never had these problems with SuSE or other distros but don't want to go
back to them as I love the debian package management system.
As I usually work in the console only I have zero knowledge of the
desktops and have no clue where to start looking in order to
troubleshoot this problem. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the
desktop many times but it has made no difference, the problem is still
there. I have even reinstalled the entire distro but the problem still
recurrs.
Everyone I have spoken to who uses Debian has not experienced these
problems and so I am wondering if the problems are related to conflicts
with my hardware. I have installed on amilo pro laptop. Sorry I can't
gove any more information about the problem.

Any pointers in the right direction of where to start looking in order to
troubleshoot this problem would be much appreciated.