Re: [OT] SATA vs. SCSI

On fredag 28 oktober 2005, 11:10, Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:
> If I've learned one thing about disks in the last few years, it's
> that you should never ever buy the largest disks available.

Right. I do the same thing, but for a different reason: Usually, the
GB/price-ratio has a max, not for the latest and biggest, but for the
somewhat smaller. I have a 250 GB drive waiting for me at the post
office now, that has the best ratio now, a month ago, it was a 200 GB
drive.

As for the SATA vs. SCSI, I guess there is a reason why SCSI disks
usually has a 5 year warranty, whereas *ATA just one. But they are also
5 times as expensive per GB as SATA. I have personally no experience
with SCSI, but at my old institute, they were used exclusively, and we
had 3 TB of SCSI disks when I finished my studies. Since I knew
sysadmin well, SCSI disks blow up too, so, what I would do in this
situation is to go for 3ware RAID controllers and SATA with lots of
redundancy. You could have 4 redundant disks and still be within the
cost of SCSI, unless, of course, the disks live up to their one-year
warranty period, which hasn't happened to me yet... :-)

Cheers,

Kjetil
--
Kjetil Kjernsmo
Programmer / Astrophysicist / Ski-orienteer / Orienteer / Mountaineer