Re: [OT] SATA vs. SCSI

On Thu, 27 Oct 2005, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:

> I will hopefully soon be building a server to donate to my church to
> replace a used one that I donated earlier this year.  My question is
> this:  Is SATA or SCSI preferrable?
>
> I am shooting for top notch reliability.

in that case ... i'd use 2 ata-based complete systems even if one
of it is a p-90 or something itty-bitty .. because when the main
box fails... you need a 2nd box to take over while you're
sleeping or on vacation
	- nobody would notice that a p90 is handling their email
	unless they want to use bloated mozilla for emails
	in which case you need a bigger, but still semi-retired pcs

scsi is good IF you can keep the disks cool ( 2 fans per disk ) ...
	- all my dead systems are scsi-based even with fans

	( i guess people like the hot swap capability for replacing
	  dead scsi disks

ata is good if price is important ... 200GB for $50 ...
and i've not had any problems with ata except for the "death-star"
series which resulted in a class-action suit against ibm

scsi vs ata performance ...

	- you can easily show that ata-133 can keep up with scsi-320
	since those are marketing numbers ...

	(  use the same test scripts on the same mb/cpu/memory )

	( assuming you compare 10K ata disks with 10K scsi disks
	  both with 2MB or 8MB or 16MB disk csche

	if you compare a 15K scsi against a  5400 ata .. what does
	one expect to show ??

	- do real life tests vs theoretical tests
	( complete backups is a good way to test real data transfers )

c ya
alvin