Re: Minimal instalation

--- Kent West <westk@acu.edu> wrote:

> Mitja Podreka wrote:
>
> > hello
> >
> > I have few old computers in a library and I want to set them up so
> > that they will run Firefox for web browsing and nothing else.
> > I've done a basic Sarge (net)install and then x-window + window
> > manager + Firefox.
> > Is there any better way? Is there a way to get even smaller load on
> > the poor old computers?
>
> 1. Thin client
>
> or
>
> 2. Take the window manager out of the picture, using just x-window +
> Firefox (but you might have issues). To try this, create a ~/.xinitrc
> and put "mozilla-firefox" in it as the only line, kill any ?dm login
> managers, and start X manually with "startx".

Searching on Google for 'firefox kiosk' I found this:

  <http://php.unc.edu/ovcsa/payst/?p=2>

which suggests that you do need at least a window manager.  In this
article they use IceWM, but I don't see why twm should work if you want
it to be as minimal as possible.

Also, if you are not dead set on using Firefox, you could try this
instead:

<https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?application=mozilla&category=Kiosk%20Browsing&numpg=10&id=509>

Bye,

Joe