browser for fonts

hi guys:

i started to use antialiased fonts on my computer. is there any application that would allow me to browse through the different font families/sizes/encodings, to view them and then it would provide me with the font string i could use for e.g. xterm?

i know that xfontsel can be used for the font selection, but i'm not sure whether i can use it for antialiased fonts. e.g., i cannot see there VeraDb that is certainly available on my box. maybe it's just my misunderstanding how these things work...

i saw something similar to what i describe in kde control panel, however i don't use neither kde nor gnome, so i'd rather use some standalone application.

thanks for help / pointer to relevant documentation. best regards,

--
Lubos
_@_"