Re-ordering the hard drives during install... impossible??

Hello everyone,

I have been banging my head against the brick wall which is the Debian installer.

I am trying to install to a system with 5 hard drives:

1) Boot drive on an Adaptec 29160
2) 2 x 120 GB on a vanilla Promise ATA 133 controller (Linux software RAID)
3) 2 x 250 GB on the motherboard's Intel ICH5 SATA controller (Linux software RAID)

Here's the issue:

The BIOS orders everything like it should:

IDE, SCSI, SATA

I then disable booting from IDE in the BIOS, and change it to SCSI. The BIOS on this board will actually identify each hard drive separately, so you can choose which to boot from.

The Debian installer, however, for some asinine reason identifies the drives in a completely backwards order!

So my SCSI drive which should be /dev/sda is labelled as /dev/sdc in the installer!!

Red Hat 9 and all derivatives thereof actually have an option when configuring the boot loader to re-order the drives, so you can put /dev/hda ahead of /dev/sda, thereby changing your device.map for you.

How can I do this with Debian during install??

I came over to Debian a few months ago from the Red Hat world after installing Ubuntu on my latop, falling in love with it, then building a couple of servers with Debian.

This whole process is frustrating me, and turning me off *very* quickly.

Does anyone know how I can work around this issue? I don't want to go back to RPM hell...

Thanks in advance,

 - Lance