Re: best cheap sound card

On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 17:50:15 -0600, Neal McBurnett <neal@bcn.boulder.co.us> wrote:
> And this thread seems to agree, concluding that after much headache,
> the card plays sound, but the microphone doesn't work:
>
>  http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/archive/26/2005/03/4/285928
>
> Huh...
>
> Any other advice out there?  Maddening....

I feel your pain!

I just spent an embarrassingly long time getting my "SB Audigy MP3"
microphone to work under Debian.

The latest kernel 2.6.12 that Debian unstable supplies does not contain a
working Alsa (Microphone input/capture for some SB cards is broken). I
went down to the stable kernel 2.6.8-2-686 which includes a working Alsa.

Then I used alsamixer (and showed [ALL]) to move the Mic input up, also
had to play with the [MM] setting for [Audigy A].

My only suggestions are to:
 - Avoid unstable branches in the distribution.
 - Avoid buying fancy sound cards. This SB-Audigy has more controls than
   a 747 :)

Good luck.