Grub and linux-source-2.6.12

Hi:

  I tried to upgrade to kernel 2.6.12 using linux-source-2.6.12. I am
  using unstable. The compilation goes fine, during which there is a
  message: Root device is (3,2)

  I have my root partition in /dev/hda2. In the menu.lst for grub
  I have:

  root (hd0,1)
  kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.12 root=/dev/hda2

  This is the same for the other kernels I have been using previously:
  2.4.27-2-686; 2.6.11 etc.

  Now, however, when I boot up, there is a kernel panic, with the
  message Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block (3,2).

  I tried:

  rdev /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.12 /dev/hda2

  and then tried to boot up, but I had the same problem. I do not have
  an initrd.img; The other two 2.6 kernels I used had an initrd.img, but
  they were precompiled kernels. Are the new kernels supposed to work
  only with an initrd.img or am I make some other mistake.

  Sebastian Canagaratna
  Department of Chemistry
  Ohio Northern University
  Ada, OH 45810.