Re: Easy Debian Wireless 101

On 00:08 Wed 26 Oct     , Steve Lamb wrote:
> Adam Porter wrote:
> > There are several web sites dedicated to WiFi on Linux, with extensive
> > lists of cards and how they are supported.  Google is your friend.  :)
>
>     None of which, when I last googled, has specific instructions for Debian
> with specific card recommendations.  The best they got was chipsets which are
> *not* listed on the boxes!  Nor were they in any way related to Debian.  That
> is why I asked on a Debian list the very specific question I did.  Specific
> card recommendations with specific instrcutions for Debian; not just linux in
> general.

I have used Debian with the Orinoco Silver card on an old IBM Thinkpad. Its
been a few years since i set it up but from my notes the drivers used were:
orinoco orinoco-cs hermes ds yenta_socket and pcmcia_core.

The Debian specific info i found in the man pages for cardmgr, cardinfo, pcmcia
and pcmcia_core. You will have to install pcmcia first. To my kernel config
i added the following to get pcmcia support and the necessary drivers:

CONFIG_PCMCIA
CONFIG_CARDBUS
CONFIG_I82365

CONFIG_NET_RADIO
CONFIG_HERMES
CONFIG_PCMCIA_HERMES
CONFIG_NET_WIRELESS
CONFIG_NET_PCMCIA
CONFIG_NET_PCMCIA_RADIO

Also apt-get install pcmcia-cs. This runs the cardmgr daemon. Then edit your card
settings in /etc/pcmcia/wireless.opts and network.opts and /etc/network/interfaces.

I pieced all this info together at the time and don't know if its any
easier to get it working at this time. Two years ago the Orinoco Silver
cost $40 and i got it because it was supposedly the _easiest_ card to setup
in Linux. You can find them on ebay.