Re: Which daemons run at startup

Stephen R Laniel napisał(a):
I'm writing a script that will need to run across FreeBSD,
Debian, Gentoo and probably other machines, and will need to
tell me, among other things, which daemons would launch at
startup if the machine were rebooted. So I wonder

1) what the best Debian command is to figure this out in a
   scriptable way (which is to say, I know that rcconf will
   tell me this);

ls /etc/rc[0-6].d ?

2) if there's any general, portable way to do this across
   Unices; and most generally

I don't think so. There isn't even a portable way to do this safely on all distributions.

4) Other than testing for the existence of
   /etc/[distro name]{_,-}version, is there any way --
   without assuming that the distro is LSB-compliant -- to
   figure out which distro is in front of me?

Same as the answer above - I wouldn't assume that U can find anything in any fixed place. The only thing U can assume U can find in linux system is kernel, and even this doesn't have to be in any expected place.