No contacts in Evolution

Hello,

I just reinstalled Debian Sarge without erasing my home partition. Once
every thing was installed, I logged in and started Evolution.  Every
thing in Evolution is ok except the contacts region is greyed out and I
cannot see any of my contacts.  I tried to create a new contact thinking
that maybe I lost all my contacts.  But this new contact didn't show
up.

Does someone know what could be done to diagnose this problem or maybe
even better know the problem and a solution?

thanks,
Bernard