backup scheme install [was Ready to join the club..]

On Sunday 23 October 2005 10:20 pm, Steve Lamb wrote:
> > AFAIK, there is not a single vendor of PC's that provides a robust system
> > out of the box that includes a ready-to-go backup/recovery procedure.
> >  It's always something left to the user.   It's like selling a car
> > without a spare and a jack.
>
>     It's a hardware issue.  Tell me what piece of hardware you're going to
> presume the user has to back up to.

But hardware detection is one of the many fine features of the Debian
installer, and I presume burning a CD is the best low-end hardware to target.

The user I have in mind has a computer for email, websurfing, document
writing, maybe image manipulation and spreadsheets.  The current Debian
desktop install serves them well when it comes to providing the means to
create the data they are interested in, but leaves them on their own on an
issue we all know is critical to a well-configured system:  backup and
recovery.

 I understand I'm advocating for a feature that isn't going to appear
tomorrow, but it's important to consider it as part of the roadmap.  And it
could be yet another way Debian distinguishes itself from the crowd.

On Sunday 23 October 2005 09:11 pm, Paul Johnson wrote:
> > Then you are not familiar with the legions of PC users who know nothing
> > of making backups, care a lot about their data, and only realize they
> > should have learned about regular backups when the data turns to toast.
>
> Obviously they didn't care enough about their data to think about how to
> protect it.  They got what they had coming.
>
> > It's not that people are lazy (okay, some are) but just clueless.
>
> Cluelessness is a symptom of laziness.

Cluelessness is a symptom of being inexperienced.

Andy