Re: IDE hdd faster than sata? How come?

Gene Heskett wrote:
On Tuesday 25 October 2005 09:50, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:

Gene Heskett wrote:

[...]

Before you do that, what kernel version?  There was a bug in one of
the earlier 2.6 kernels that did that to me, and it included the /var
directory so it was not recorded.

Just one more reason to have /var on its own partition, which I've
done ever since even if disk druid doesn't like it.

Did not know that. But this is with 2.6.13-ck8, the very latest stable

from Con Kolivas, so I don't think that is the reason.

Probably not, as my problem with it was at least a year back up the log,
and obviously prior to that.  I'm running 2.6.14-rc5 here, and have had
zero problems.  ISTR it was pre 2.6.8 when I had that problem.

My ups is going crazy though, we're in the middle of getting an
indeterminant amount of very heavy wet snow & I'm out with long poles
beating the snow off my trees else they'll all be broken down.  A 40 foot
high silver maple was laying clear out in the street, hiding all the
mailboxes till I beat some snow off it.  I can hear trees exploding up on
the hills around us, and we've gotten about 6" so far I'd guess, but its
very near thawing temps & everything is dripping, so thats just a guess. Sweeping the "Dish" about every 20 minutes to keep the telly working for
the missus, who is an addict. :-)  Me, I can take it or leave it after 43
years of keeping a tv station on the air someplace in the lower 48.
Occasionally, its been interesting, like the time I was walking back down
North Mountain in Colorado in a chest high whiteout at 1 am.  My tracks in
the snow were gone in 10 seconds, but I could see stars and the tops of
the snow poles they put up to mark the roads in that country. 15 degrees,
30+ mph wind, carrying 3 big toolboxes about 2 miles back down the
mountain from the microwave shack where I'd replaced a klystron, to where
the '77 bronco was stuck. I finally got home (in Farmington NM where I was
the CE at KIVA-TV in '77-79) about 7 am & at 9 the GM called and wanted to
know where I was. The answer definitely wasn't printable.
But after that, we got along a lot better. 8-)

Ah, come to Oaxaca, Mexico. No snow, but the power goes out just the same as if there were. Getting an UPS as soon as I can.