Re: IDE hdd faster than sata? How come?

On Tuesday 25 October 2005 06:57, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
>Bruno Buys wrote:
[...]
>And a few days ago when running Sarge on one of its partitions I got all
>sorts of trouble:
>kernel: Buffer I/O error on device hdb3, logical block 163858
>kernel: lost page write due to I/O error on hdb3
>kernel: EXT2-fs error (device hdb3): ext2_readdir: bad page in #83892
>kernel: Remounting filesystem read-only
>
>That disk is 6 months old!
>So I am going to get rid of the Samsung and get something else.

Before you do that, what kernel version?  There was a bug in one of the
earlier 2.6 kernels that did that to me, and it included the /var
directory so it was not recorded.

Just one more reason to have /var on its own partition, which I've done
ever since even if disk druid doesn't like it.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)