Re: Easy Debian Wireless 101

Steve Lamb wrote:

>     Ok, in the near future chances are I am going to dive into the
> wacky world of wireless.  Thing is my first poke at it was less than
> successful.  I bought a wireless PCMCIA card for my laptop and was
> unable to get the card to run with Debian.  Chances are I just bought
> a difficult card to try to work with Linux; something about loading
> the BIOS onto the card every time the card is inserted.  o.O
>
>     Be that as it may I want to throw a wireless card into my
> router/server box.  Does anyone have any recommendations for the
> simplest card to get working with Debian?  I mean the ideal would be
> drop the card in, tell iprename(?) what the new card should be,
> install a package or two and away I go.

Hi Steve-

I think the easiest I have ever done is a orinoco pci adaptor with a
gold 11b card in it.  I found these adaptors (still) on ebay awhile
back for pretty cheap and the classic gold cards can be found as well.
I also have used a linksys pci adaptor but I think it was either with
ndiswrapper or linuxant.  Memory does not serve well on that particular
experiment.

If I wanted a drop-in type of thing, I would probably go with the
orinoco classic gold card and the pci adaptor.

--
Michael Perry | Do or do not. There is no try --Master Yoda
mperry@lnxpowered.org | http://www.lnxpowered.org