Re: Why need Debian?

Tshepang Lekhonkhobe:

> A few times I have statements in the ubuntu website that there can't
> be Ubuntu if there's no Debian. This statement seems to me like it's
> only relevant to Warty, but why should they continue taking debian
> sources, especially considering that Ubuntu's main is normally ahead
> of Debian's sid?

Is it? From my understanding, they take regular snapshots from sid, make
them releasable and that's it. (Not that this isn't hard work.) And I
don't think they have the manpower to do everything Debian does (even
for their limited number of packages and architectures) so they have to
rely on Debian's work.

But you're probably better off asking this question on an Ubuntu list.
(And no, I don't have anything against people asking Ubuntu related
questions on this list, but this one is quite specific.)

J.
--
When standing at the top of beachy head I find the rocks below very
attractive.