Re: Why need Debian?

Debain sarge is what ubuntu generaly is I think, hence need Debian.

Also, Ubntu being a debian derivative for a desktop Debian is required
to basicaly avoid reinventing the wheel and keeping things consistant.
If not you will get something like Fedora to Mandrake to Suse (not sure
about Suse) almost the same, but also very different so all packages
need to be reimplemented pretty much.