Re: reduce write access to hard disk

"Jonathan Schmitt" <list@detla.de> wrote in message [🔎] 200510231812.07380.list@detla.de">news:[🔎] 200510231812.07380.list@detla.de...
Dear all,
I'm currently trying to build a low power/low noise computer and as a part of
the concept, I would like to use a flash card as the main storage.
I'm aware, that flash cards have only a limited amount of write cycles before the cells wear out and therefore I'm looking for ways to reduce the number of
write cycles.
First of all, it is obvious, that swap partitions have to be avoided and
replaced by real ram, so currently I'm planing for 2 maybe even 4 GB of
memory.
The kernel is less than perfect in terms of memory management and a knoppix user noticed that creating a ramdrive for a swap partition actually increased speed. (The problem might not actually be in the kernel, but rather in programs requesting that memmory be placed in swap, and running slower if swap is not available, but it has the same end effect).

Rather than using flash memory consider using SSDs which are dram-based, battery backed-up drives.
I'm not sure of the cost comparison to similar sized flash drives.

What is nice about flash though is that compact flash uses IDE. So you can just buy a simple ide to Compact flash adapter to plug your CF cards into.