Re: Newb question : What package will the system use if both testing and unstable sources are defined ?

On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 the mental interface of
Maxim Vexler told:

> Hello.
>
> I'm facing this situation on my first day with debain :
>
> I wish to have both php5 and xorg-server installed on my system, those
> packages are provided from the unstable repository - which is fine.
> The problem arises with my understanding of the way apt works: If a
> version of a package FOO is available both in testing and unstable
> repository's which version will apt use ?

The one which is defined in /etc/apt/apt.conf:

APT::Default-Release "unstable";

or

APT::Default-Release "testing";

> What if I wish it to pull only the php5 package from the unstable
> repository but have the rest of the system installed from the testing
> tree -- it that configuration possible?

apt-get install -t unstable 'php5 package'

HTH
Elimar

--
    .~.