Re: Gimp and transparency in GIF images

On Sun, Oct 23, 2005 at 01:01:11AM -0400, [KS] wrote:
> Eric P wrote:
> >
> > All gif images must be an indexed image of 256 colors or less, that's
> > why Gimp is forcing you to index it.  Gif also cannot handle alpha
> > transparency (like png can).  A pixel must be  either 100% opaque or
> > 100% transparent for gif.
> >

> Yes, I noticed that. I did make it indexed with default 255 colors, but
> the gradient of the shadow was not really good. What other choices do I
> have to creat/edit a gif on Debian?

Your best option is GIMP. Put a layer at the back of your image and fill
it with the desired background colour that the gif will sit on. eg white
if the gif will be on a white background

Flatten your image and convert it to indexed format. Then add an alpha
chanel again.

Then select the background region with the contiguous selection tool
without a tolerance. Clear you selection and save as a gif.

This is as good as you can get with gif. It will look good on one
background colour - but that is it. gif is a useless format. You just
have to live with it.

cheers

dc

--
David Purton
dcpurton@chariot.net.au

For the eyes of the LORD range throughout the earth to
strengthen those whose hearts are fully committed to him.
                                 2 Chronicles 16:9a