python apache modules

I'm not sure if I'm doing this right, but I'm trying to put together a webpage to provide some sudoku puzzles online. As a shameless plug you can check it out at qualitysudoku.com. But that's not why I'm here.

But the real point of all this is twofold:

I am currently running a web page that is a python based CGI for serving up the puzzles and would like to migrate this to some kind of module similar to mod_perl (of which I'm more familiar). What packages in Stable are available? Are they in good standing (long exposure, stability...)

The other, trickier, question is this:

How would you suggest uploading data from a client to a server in a method that is both secure (ssh centric) but automated (no command line passwords). I want to be able to do this via crontab but the only way I know of doing this is with public/private keys with no-password authentication.

Is this safe?
Is this sane?