Re: SATA DVD not recognized

Basajaun wrote:
> Somehow I fail to see how changing the source file of a module one has
> to subsequently recompile can qualify as "works pretty well". Damn, we
> are not in the dark ages were Linux users were suposed (required) to be
> computer geeks.

Compiling something (and compiling a kernel ist just that despite all stories
that are made about it) is not geek at all. Especially since all you have to
do is reading the manual that hopefully comes with it.

> I am lately having some bad experiences with Debian, which, although
> made me learn a lot, where a pain, and I keep seing people have similar
> problems, mainly with SATA, SCSI emulation, 2.4 vs 2.6 kernels and the
> system being able or not to see the HD or CD-ROM:
>
> 1) Debian can not be installed on a SATA HD from scratch with a 2.6
> kernel. Rather, one has to install with kernel 2.4, _then_ upgrade the
> kernel. This is so because, under 2.6, SATA is seen as SCSI, and
> somehow this makes the install program not see the IDE CD drive it is
> being installed from.

Worked here just fine: SATA disk and PATA dvd drive, installing sarge with
linux-2.6

> 2) Booting on 2.4 gives SATA drives /dev/hdaX names. Booting on 2.6
> gives /dev/sdaX names. Result: /etc/fstab hell. I think that fiddling
> with grub/menu.lst can fix it, but this shouldn't be necessary.

You could use LABEL= directives in /etc/fstab to easily solve such problems.
Or use symlinks (udev can help you here for linux-2.6).

> 3) Unless some modules (ide-core, etc.) are inserted in the kernel or
> included in the initrd.img, when booting on a SATA drive, the IDE
> devices will go unnoticed, because the ata_piix module hijacks the ide0
> and ide1.
>
> All this can be "easily" fixed... but grrrrr, it shouldn't be required!
> I want Debian to boot and install flawlessly on both IDE and SATA, with
> eider kernel 2.4 or 2.6.

And this works. But what gave you the idea that both at the same time are
supported, especially in a bit more complicated environments like yours?

HS

        oder über pgp.net