Re: OT: Damaged harddisk and/or disk controller

Kjetil Kjernsmo wrote:

[snip]

What I see is that if the primary master disk isn't detected, the primary slave isn't either. However, if I pull the IDE cable from the primary master, the primary slave is detected. This too, could be

This sounds like an electronics problem on the "master" disc.

random, as I have not seen it often enough to tell, but it seems so, indicating that the controller is fine. I have also bought a new IDE cable, so it is not the cable.

Today, I pulled the power from the disk, and when I inserted it again, it gave a sound like "I'm spinning, I'm spinning!", and that was what did the trick, it seemed. Could it be that occasionally the disk simply doesn't start spinning at all after a shutdown?

This sounds like stiction.

In the list of devices on bootup, the IDE controller always shows with a single entry, so it is not that the IDE controller is totally absent. lspci also shows it as: 0000:00:04.1 IDE interface: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C586A/B/VT82C686/A/B/VT823x/A/C PIPC Bus Master IDE (rev 06)

The primary disk, a Maxtor 40 GB disk, has been a bit unreliable from the start, so I suspect it is to blame. As some may remember, I have

Connor, now owned by Maxtor IIRC, was *notorious* for not working well
with drives not manufactured by Connor.

You can buy a new bare Seagate (I've only had good experiences with
them) 40GB drive for $50 USD or so here in the Dallas, Texas area.

How much is your time worth? How much is your data worth?

[snip]

Any ideas on how to attack this issue to bring more certainty as to the cause?

My recommendation:

Get all the data you possibly can off that disc ASAP, and buy a
replacement disc for $50. Then, and only then, start thinking about
whether that drive can possibly be used for data storage. Maybe
you could put /tmp on it or something.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.