Re: Best practices for installing Debian in a new disk?

Alvin Oga wrote:

On Tue, 18 Oct 2005, mikepolniak wrote:

On 17:46 Tue 18 Oct     , Bruno Buys wrote:
I'm reinstalling my system onto a new sata disk I just purchased. I'd

fun toys

like to know what best practices people do, in order to get through this with the least possible hassle.

- partition your new disk ( the way you like )

- copy the directories and files with your fav tool
	tar cf - $DIR | ( cd /mnt/target ; tar xvfp - )

	DIR == /bin /boot /dev /etc /lib /sbin /usr /var/ /opt

	cd /mnt/target; mkdir /tmp /var /usr /proc /mnt/floppy /mnt/cdrom...
	chmod 1777 tmp

- chroot /mnt/target ; run grub/lilo and power off and move the
disks around reboot
Why not just copy over the whole Debian partition from the ide disk to
the new disk. I have done this many times without a problem. I make a new
partition on the new disk as the target and cd into / dir of the old disk
then:

cp -ax * /target

manual cleanup will be required, regardless of which way you clone ide -> sata

	clean up /var/log ( or wipe  it all out )
	clean up /var/spool/*mail-stuff*
clean up /root/{*caches*} rm -rf /tmp/*

- if you don't clean it up .. your IDS should be screaming that the
 machine had been hacked

keep your fingers crossed that the sata disk bootable on your other system
and that the sata controller is supported by the kernel

If necessary then edit the /etc/fstab and /etc/network/interfaces.
Then install lilo or grub on the new disk and it's good to go.

yup

c ya
alvin

   Hi Alvin and Mike,
The issue has changed, somewhat, since last night. I started a netinst install, preserving everything in the ide disk. Each disk (ide and sata) has its own lilo, and I choose which one to boot in the bios. Btw, my controller via8237 south is supported well. Sarge netinst detected both the controller and the disk without any effort from me (by the way again: do any of you use the via gigabit driver via-velocity? It was not functioning since the last netinst I downloaded, oct-2004. The one I downloaded last night was ok. Sweet...). So, now, when I get back home, with a base system + X + few utilities, I´m considering doing something like copying /bin, /lib, /usr/local/bin, and others without overwriting targets. this way I install whatever will be left to. Mike, I considered a entire-partition copy approach, but I got scared of how many configs files I´d need to edit, in order to correct things such as /dev/hda to /dev/sda, and it seemed like more work than simply reinstalling from netinst. My current setup is like ~350MB apt-get download, after base install, which is doable in say 3 hs. I just left the computer downloading overnight. How exactly do you copy files in this way, when you do that? Maybe I´ll switch to this next time.

How do I go about editing my lilo.conf from ide disk to point correctly and boot the system from sata?

Indeed. Sata disks are fun!