Re: apt-0.6 off line usage

On Tue, Oct 18, 2005 at 09:38:58PM -0700, Brian Nelson wrote:
> Marty <martyb@ix.netcom.com> writes:
>
> > golfer wrote:
> >
> >> The only way I seem to be able to get packages installed is to go back
> >> on line and do the 'apt-get dist-upgrade'.  For one or two packages,
> >> this may be ok, but it's not something I want to waste time doing
> >> routinely.
> >
> > The dist-upgrade option is not intended for routine use. Unless you are
> > mistaking it for the "upgrade" option, it may be a bug or a deprecated
> > feature.  An off-line dist-upgrade seems like a problematic feature to support.
>
> Huh?

Consider the (admittedly rare) case - someone with CDs or DVDs and
no readily available net access. [This happens to me at work more
often than I'd like :( ]

cp /etc/apt/sources.list /etc/apt/sources.list.BAK ; rm /etc/apt/sources.list

Delete the existing CD/DVD entries in /etc/apt/sources.list

	apt-cdrom add

Then add the two DVDs / fourteen CDs in sequence [for human readable
purposes, to check you haven't missed one :) - apt itself doesn't care.]

	apt-get update

To update the package lists held by apt

	apt-get dist-upgrade

To upgrade the several thousand packages and files you have on a busy machine
in place and in the appropriate order.

I did this on a laptop at work the other day - I'd obviously given the
owner a snapshot of "testing" back in January or so. Using the Sarge
disks from July this year, I moved the machine to current "stable" with
no reboot until the end as I changed over the kernel package. Very useful
to upgrade in place - (almost) impossible with any other distribution other
than Debian (and perhaps Ubuntu).

Andy