Re: Anyone know how to do a "timed program" with mplayer?

Adam Funk wrote:
I can listen to a continuously ogg-streaming radio station with this
command:

mplayer http://engine.collegemedia.vt.edu:8000/wuvt.ogg

and I've successfully recorded (using scripts and at) fixed-duration
RealPlayer radio shows to .wav to listen to them later.  But I'd like to
record a specific show tonight from the continuous live ogg stream.

I suppose I could set up an at job to start recording at 18:30 and another
to "killall mplayer" at 20:00, but I think that might cause problems (and
it's hideously inelegant).

I've done just that to listen to KUSC at 2AM and stop at 5AM.

But I did it with two commands I implemented with Qt: do_sm and do_km.

Crontab starts do_sm at 2AM and it spawns mplayer to record.

Crontab starts do_km at 5AM and it finds the record with the PID of do_sm and kills it with a TERM, which mplayer gets and terminates.

Very elegant, but only because I did it that way of course ;-)

If you want I can send you the code but don't respond to the from address but to hugovanwoerkom at yahoo dot com. Care2 is the pits.

This prompts the question again: can you list and record at the same time with mplayer?