Re: apt-0.6 off line usage

On 10/17/05, Marty <martyb@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> golfer wrote:
>
> > The only way I seem to be able to get packages installed is to go back
> > on line and do the 'apt-get dist-upgrade'.  For one or two packages,
> > this may be ok, but it's not something I want to waste time doing
> > routinely.
>
> The dist-upgrade option is not intended for routine use. Unless you are
> mistaking it for the "upgrade" option, it may be a bug or a deprecated
> feature.  An off-line dist-upgrade seems like a problematic feature to support.

I think I figured out that the deleted files in /var/lib/apt/lists
were because apt-0.6 now defaults to deleting these files to prevent
accumulation of older versions.  However, it's a problem for me
because my dial up is off line, so new versions aren't downloaded.  I
was able to change this by adding 'APT::Get::List-Cleanup "false";' to
my /etc/apt/apt.conf.

regards,