Re: dpkg error, can't install and can't uninstall libread*

On 16:53 Mon 17 Oct 2005, Antony Gelberg wrote:
> phyrster wrote:
> >
> > ---------------
> > #dpkg -i libreadline5_5.0-11_i386.deb
> >
> > Preparing to replace libreadline5 5.0-10 (using
> > libreadline5_5.0-11_i386.deb) ...
> >
> > install-info: No dir file specified; try --help for more information.
> >
> > dpkg: warning - old pre-removal script returned error exit status 1
> >
> > dpkg - trying script from the new package instead ...
> >
> > dpkg: error processing libreadline5_5.0-11_i386.deb (--install):
> >  there is no script in the new version of the package - giving up
> >  install-info: unrecognized option `--description=GNU Readline Library API
> >  (v5)'
> >  	Try `install-info --help' for a complete list of options.
> > 	dpkg: error while cleaning up:
> > 	 subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1
> > 	 Errors were encountered while processing:
> > 	  libreadline5_5.0-11_i386.deb
> >
> > ---------------
> >
> > I tried to reinstall, purge or another dist-upgrade but nothing changed. It
> > seems to me that the last resort is to reinstall the whole system. What
> > shall I do?
> >

> The libreadline .deb you have is corrupt.  You could remove the
> offending file from /var/cache/apt/archives and apt-get -f install.

Exact the same error occurred after I follow what you said. I can't either
install or purge that package and the installation of all the other packages
are held back.

regards

bxuef

--
dhammapada says:

  By oneself one does evil. By oneself one is defiled. By oneself one
  abstains from evil. By oneself one is purified. Purity and impurity are
  personal matters. No one can purify someone else. 165