Re: Seagate external firewire opinion

On Sat, Oct 15, 2005 at 03:51:24AM -0300, Rogério Brito wrote:

> On Oct 15 2005, Willie Gnarlson wrote:
> > Hello lovers of all that is Debian,

> Hi there, Willie.

Hi, Rogério.

> > I am thinking of purchasing an external Seagate USB 2.0 / Firewire
> > hard drive for use for backing up the systems on my LAN

> Well, I have a similar situation here: I have an IDE drive in an
> Firewire/USB 2.0 enclosure (the enclosure is an ADS Tech Dual Link Drive
> Kit DLX-185, if my memory serves me) and I use it for backup purposes.

> The drive has 160GB and is serving me well, even though I also backup
> the essential things in CDs and DVDs.

Ah, I see, that would be a better solution for me, too (the external
enclosure and a standard 3.5 drive).

> > Does anyone have any horror or success stories with the external
> > Seagate drives (possible models: ST3160024A-RK, ST3300801CB-RK, or
> > ST3200823A-RK)?

> I can't speak for those Seagate drives, but the one I have here is a
> Seagate drive and it runs quite well with Linux and Firewire.

> In fact, I am using it in Firewire mode all the time, since the USB
> connectors that I have on my computer are only USB 1.1, but I've heard
> that the performance of Firewire/400 is superior to that of USB 2.0 for
> a number of reasons.

Great!

This is what I'm probably going to use (with USB port in addition to
Firewire in case of Armageddon):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16822148025
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16817145657

The total price is comparable to the single product, and I can swap out
the hard drive if needed.

Thanks for your input, it helped!

--
Willie Gnarlson