Re: Seagate external firewire opinion

On Oct 15 2005, Willie Gnarlson wrote:
> Hello lovers of all that is Debian,

Hi there, Willie.

> I am thinking of purchasing an external Seagate USB 2.0 / Firewire
> hard drive for use for backing up the systems on my LAN

Well, I have a similar situation here: I have an IDE drive in an
Firewire/USB 2.0 enclosure (the enclosure is an ADS Tech Dual Link Drive
Kit DLX-185, if my memory serves me) and I use it for backup purposes.

The drive has 160GB and is serving me well, even though I also backup
the essential things in CDs and DVDs.

> Does anyone have any horror or success stories with the external
> Seagate drives (possible models: ST3160024A-RK, ST3300801CB-RK, or
> ST3200823A-RK)?

I can't speak for those Seagate drives, but the one I have here is a
Seagate drive and it runs quite well with Linux and Firewire.

In fact, I am using it in Firewire mode all the time, since the USB
connectors that I have on my computer are only USB 1.1, but I've heard
that the performance of Firewire/400 is superior to that of USB 2.0 for
a number of reasons.

> Thanks a lot for reading.

Hope this helps, Rogério.

Homepage on freshmeat:  http://freshmeat.net/projects/algorithms/