Re: 2.6.13 & a dvd reading issue

On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 11:23:11 -0300
Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh@debian.org> wrote:

> This is a very suspicious size. LFS borkage maybe?  It is extremely strange
> that the kernel version has anything to do with it, though.

It is. I reverted back to 2.6.8-2, but then wanted to give the 2.6.13
kernel another go just a little while ago. I tried another dvd (dual
layer, of course, since I knew there might be an issue round about 4.5
gb or so.)

If I mount or read the dvd in my other drive (/dev/hdc - toshiba sd
1312 combo dvd/cdrw) xine or other apps have no problems going all the
way to the end of the disc. However, if I put the same disk in /dev/hdd
(NEC dvd+/rw drive) xine for instance will stop and say it can't seek
to a rather large block number.

The only thing I'm thinking of that might cause this issue is the
packet dvd driver, which is mapped to /dev/hdd. 2.6.8 doesn't have any
packet dvd stuff - but I enabled it in 2.6.13 so I could do some
experimenting with dvd-ram things.

googling so far hasn't produced anything obvious.

dfox@tsoft.com                            change magnetic patterns
dfox@m206-157.dsl.tsoft.com               on your hard disk.