2.6.13 & a dvd reading issue

2.6.8.2-i686 kernel does not have this problem.

I built 2.6.13 from ftp.kernel.org, made it, installed it and updated
to using the new kernel & initrd.

I really want the 2.6.13 because my custom kernel handles the video
card (matrox millenium g450 AGP) better than the stock 2.6.8.2 kernel
that's in sarge. (Specifically, some acceleration modules related to
Matrox aren't loaded due to unresolved symbols, and my DRI goes down.)

Actually, that's a separate issue really, as I can live with the frame
rate in 2.6.8 (200-220, adequate enough). But 2.t6.13 is nearly twice
as fast.

But the real sticky issue is that there's an issue when attempting to
read DVDs. I was using dvdshrink in WINE like I normally do to shrink
dual-layer dvds. When using the 2.6.13, the reader stopped 61% through
the analysis with a read error. I then tried to dd the iso from the
DVD, and it stopped at around the same point, leaving a 4.2 gb
(approximate) iso file - which then had, of course, reading errors when
gonig off the end of the file. (xine of course has difficulty seeking
past that point as well.) Interestingly enough, apart from log lines
relating to reading that loopback mounted image (seek beyond end of
media) there were no errors in syslog relating to read errors from the
dvd device. For instance, dd(1) just quit, without returning any type
of I/O error.

All these problems go away when I reboot to 2.6.8.2. Now there's
obviously something wrong with the dvd stuff - but where to look?

I can include my kernel config if need be - but it's 50K now and likely
I overlooked something. It's been a while since I compiled kernels
myself.

dfox@tsoft.com                            change magnetic patterns
dfox@m206-157.dsl.tsoft.com               on your hard disk.