Re: Thundermail and txt attachments

Jerome BENOIT wrote:
Thanks for your replies.

C. Chad Wallace wrote:

Jerome BENOIT wrote:

Hello List,

is there a (Debian) way to ask Thunderbird to encode `text'
(as LaTeX source file) attachment ?

In fact I recently experienced the follwing:
one of my correspond ask to send him a LaTeX source in attachment,
so I did it with Thunderbird, but unfortunately my correspondant
uses Pine which shows the LaTeX source in plain text, hence some
misunderstandings. Meanwhile I heard that Pine encode its attached files,
hence my question.

Can't the recipient still save the attachment? It's split up via MIME, and still quite clearly an attached file; it's just not encoded. If Pine displays it as if it were inline, that's Pine's problem. Regardless, it should still give an option to save the file.

The main issue is that I have to be very polite with the correspondant:
he uses Pine and believes that the LaTeX source is not attached because
it is displayed. Period.

On the other hand, as most of the people I work with use Pine mainly for
historical reasons, I want to avoid this kind of stupid issue the next
time, hence my will to configure Thunderbird to avoid this weird behaviour.

The only difference if it were Base64 encoded would be that the LaTeX source could not possibly be modified in transit. Is this the problem? I don't know much about LaTeX... but I hope it's like HTML in that it would not be affected by wrapping and/or whitespace changes. Perhaps it would be best to gzip the LaTeX file before sending it... That way, it would definitely be encoded in Base64. However, the recipient would then have to gunzip it.

Have you tried to find an extension for Thunderbird to Base64 encode text attachments?

https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/?application=thunderbird

I have just checked:
apparently not.

I am wondering if Mozilla allows such encodings:
does anyone know ?

I have just checked on my office computer:
apparently not.

Thanks,
Jerome

--