Re: Howto Debian Reinstall

Meshbah Uddin Ahmed wrote:

> i have been using debian sarge 3.1. all pkgs r works fine. few days
> ago i have faced a prb duting booting. at that time i want to
> reintsall my Debian from CD. i have downloaded this from online (minimal).

Whatever problem you have, you probably don't need to reinstall. That's
a way of thinking carried over from the Microsoft Windows world.

> there is no option abt reinstall or upgrade as there is a option in
> REDHAT.

That's because reinstallation is not an issue on Debian. You simply fix
whatever problem you have.

As far as upgrading goes, that's a simple two-command step (one command
if you want to get fancy):

#aptitude update
#aptitude dist-upgrade

> although i have tried to install from CD, but once a time it tries to
> edit partition table, when i want it tells to format the partition. so
> that i cant.

During the partitioning phase, you can tell it you're finished
partitioning (leaving the partitions as they are), and continue on. I'm
fairly confident you can tell it not to format the partitions also, but
I'm not sure.  Of course, if you don't format at least some of the
partitions, you're likely to have leftovers from before the reinstall
that will clog up your system.

> my problem solved after install debian newly. now i want to know
>
> " HOW TO REINSTALL DEBIAN FROM CD"

Again, Debianites don't reinstall their systems (except in rare cases),
so it's not really a well-documented procedure. The short version is to
back up your /home directory (or leave that partition alone if it's a
separate partition), and then just reinstall like you're doing a new
install (making sure not to partition/format your /home partition if it
exists, or restoring it if it's not a separate partition).

If you're having some sort of problem, let us know what it is and we can
probably help you fix it without a reinstall.

--
Kent