Re: Y or I, N or O

On Wed, 2005-10-12 at 10:49 +0100, Joseph Haig wrote:
> When upgrading with "apt-get upgrade" I get the option to install a new
> configuration file or keep the existing one.  The options are
>
>     Y or I  : install the package maintainer's version
>     N or O  : keep your currently-installed version
>
> Now, I know that with either Y or I and N or O, both old and new
> versions of the file are saved, but it doesn't say which!  Which of N
> or O do I need to use to save a copy of the new file?

Either.

If you choose Y, the existing configuration file will be saved as
<filename>.dpkg-old and replaced by the package's version.

If you choose N, the existing configuration file will be left untouched
and the new version will be saved in the same directory under the name
<filename>.dpkg-dist (or <filename>.dpkg-new).

   Do you want to know God?   http://www.lfix.co.uk/knowing_god.html