Y or I, N or O

When upgrading with "apt-get upgrade" I get the option to install a new
configuration file or keep the existing one.  The options are

    Y or I  : install the package maintainer's version
    N or O  : keep your currently-installed version

Now, I know that with either Y or I and N or O, both old and new
versions of the file are saved, but it doesn't say which!  Which of N
or O do I need to use to save a copy of the new file?

Thanks,

Joe