Re: XP / Samba authentication

On Fri, Oct 14, 2005 at 11:26:26AM +0100, Del Boy wrote:
> I have implemented Samba with XP workstations on a number of situations,
> without login problems.
> I have now come across a site where I can log into Samba from a win2k
> laptop without problem, but their XP Pro workstations do not log into Samba.
> These workstations were previously set to NOT ask for a login on boot
> up, and were  mapping a drive on a win2k server, all automatically.

It sounds like the XP boxes are not part of the domain.  They are
probably connected workgroup-style (that is share-level passwords like
9x) rather than as a 'real' w2k network.

> I have set up a user on the XP Pro box, and given that user membership
> of ALL groups. I also have that user/password set up on debian/samba.
> When I try to map a drive to the samba server, windows asks for the
> login name/pass, but does not login.

Once you have domain logons configured correctly you won't need the user
on the XP box.

However, that's probably not the problem - the use issue is probably a
red herring.  I suspect you problem is the level of authentication you
allow.  If you have lanman auth = no and ntlm auth = no then your
clients must be configured for ntlmv2 support.  You may want to check
the samba HOWTO on the www.samba.org site.

The relevant registry entries are listed below.

; NLMv2 responses only (dc's will accept any though)
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa]
lmcompatilbiltylevel=dword:0x00000003

; Only NTLMv2, period
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contrl\Lsa\MSV1_0]
NtlmMinClientSec=dword:0x00080000
NtlmMinServerSec=dword:0x00080000

HTH,

Daniel