ip address

Hi,
I just installed Debian Sarge, and by mistake I configured the NIC to DHCP. I
don't want DHCP, how can I change the ip address from DHCP to a permanent
static ip address? without reloading the OS? I tried already "ifconfig eth0
ipaddress", it works, but the
change is just temporary. When I reboot the computer, the NIC still picks up a
DHCP address.
I proceed to make changes in the interfaces file
the interfaces file is:

# This file describes the network information available on your system
# and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5)

# The loopback network interface
# auto lo
# Iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
# auto eth0
# Iface eth0 inet dhcp
Iface eth0 inet static
     address 192.168.0.110
     netmask 255.255.255.0
     gateway 192.168.0.1

I also tried with a lowercase i in iface, the uppercase I in Iface was in the
original interfaces file.
After I made the changes I rebooted the computer, when the computer was up I
logon on and type ifconfig, I don't get any information for the NIC. Then I
proceed to use :  ifconfig eth0 ipaddress , then I typed again ifocnfig, this
time I got information for the NIC, but when I tried to ping yahoo.com I got
unknown host.
Please help.

Fernando