Re: Bash commands

LOL. I knew immediately after I sent that not saying that "a" was unset was a mistake. Sorry.
Stephen R Laniel wrote:

On Thu, Oct 13, 2005 at 08:18:05AM -0700, Freddy Freeloader wrote:
b=${a/23/BB}

echo "b = $b"

Now the ABS guide says that where I'm setting b it should be substituting BB for 23. It also says that the output of 'echo "b - $b"' should be: b = BB35

Well, it's taking whatever the value of $a is, and replacing
23 with BB. You didn't specify the value of $a before you
run that substitution; what is it?