Re: mp3 player/network

Roger Creasy wrote:

Hello:

I have a home network, a win xp desktop, a win xp laptop, and 3 Debian
desktops. Everything seems ok with the network. All boxes have internet
access and can share files, etc. However, I cannot play mp3 files that
reside on the windows desktop on the Debian boxes. Any ideas? I am using
players that installed with Debian (Juk, noatun).
If the mp3s are on a shared folder on the xp box you should be able to mount that on a debian system with samba and play them from there with just about any mp3 player (assuming that your network between the two boxes isn't _really_ slow)

Related but different... I want to be able to have kalarm start an mp3. Is
there an mp3 player that can be told (by kalarm) to start-up and play a
particular file (or even better, folder of files)?

TIA

Roger
I'd say xmms, running `xmms my/music/folder/` plays all the files in the folder in order with the current instance of xmms running (or a new one if there isn't one), or you can specify a individual filename in the same way.

If you want you should be able to make it queue the files you want it to play and not interrupt whatever is currently playing.

Hope this helps!

ol