Re: BIND 9 Question

On Wednesday 12 October 2005 10:40 pm, Paul Johnson wrote:
> On Wednesday 12 October 2005 09:31 pm, Glenn English wrote:
> > On Wed, 2005-10-12 at 19:55 -0700, ke6isf wrote:
> > > When I migrated from Mandrake to Debian, I simply copied the
> > > named.conf over, made a single adjustment (on Mandrake, named.conf
> > > lives in /etc - in Debian, it lives in /etc/bind), regen'ed my
> > > rndc.conf, and fired it up with success - note the config is
> > > particularly exotic, being that I'm the authority for two TLDs in
> > > OpenNIC.
> >
> > I betcha he also moved the zone files that RH keeps in /var/named.
> > Debian likes them to be in /var/cache/bind.
>
> You mean /etc/bind, right?  That's where they live in sid...

Debian (the sarge I just put on my server, anyway) has a cleverly
convoluted way of configuring the name server. In /etc/bind, there's a
file called named.conf. In it are a few zones with the files specified,
with absolute pathnames, as being in /etc/bind.

There are also a couple includes: named.conf.options and named.conf.local.
In named.conf.options, the default zone file directory is set
to /var/cache/bind, and "all" the zones are listed in named.conf.local
with relative pathnames. Therefore, bind expects to find them
in /var/cache/bind.

So Paul's right, and so am I. There are zone files in both places.

If the idea is to move as little as possible, I claim named.conf should
just be put into /etc/bind, and RH's entire /var/named should just be
scp'ed into /var. If you want to do it the hard way (like I did) cut&paste
from the RH named.conf into /etc/bind/named.conf.local and put the zones
in /var/cache/bind.

I'm very sure there's are good and sufficient reasons the Debian folk did
things the way they did...

And you might need to take a look at the Webmin Bind module configuration.

--
Glenn English
ghe@slsware.com