Re: debian vs ubuntu and knoppix

On Wed, Oct 12, 2005 at 01:36:11PM -0700, Alvin Oga wrote:
> 	- it is commercialized, in my view, because they provide support
> 	for $$$$ and is NOT free
> 		( support for $$$ is a good thing
> 		and if you don't like their support pkg, you can get
> 		support elsewhere
>
> 		- if i cn buy a ubuntu distro at the local pc stores,
> 		it's commercialized regardless of what the site says
> 		( but i do have to go see if i can find it again at
> 		( fries - palo alto store
>
> 	- it is NOT commercialized if you cannot buy the pre-packaged
> 	CD's at the regular stores, but i could have and still would have
> 	sworn i saw ubuntu at the local stores packaged in its fancy boxes

not likely.

> ubuntu> Ubuntu Linux is easy to download. You can download a CD image and
> ubuntu> burn it yourself using a CD writer, or order a pressed CD from us.
> ubuntu> For a limited time we will send CDs to you at no cost, too.
>
> which to mean implies they charge $$$ for their cd... and yet they also
> say the cd's is free ...

how does sending it for free imply  that they charge $$$?  they are sending
it for *free*.  no money.  no shipping.  free.

> 	- canonical also promised to deliver hundreds of CD to the
> 	linux picnic that never arrived

Maybe you messed it up.  I've seen the CD's at several of the local LUG's.

> 	- their "free cd" requires you to provide with email and passwd
> 		https://shipit.ubuntu.com/
>
> 		( that is not free in my book, to be picky about it )
>
> 		- i do expect to give them a shipping address to
> 		receive the free cd, not an email address

because it cost you money to provide the email address?

> doesn't GPL also state that you must distribute/release source code
> of the binaries ?? ( not just the binaries )

They have apt-source repositories just like debian.

> 	- another area where its flame bait
>
> 	- ubuntu says they won't send you the sources on their free cd
> 	(http://www.ubuntu.com/download/support/documentation/faq/shipit)
> 		- that is very bad in my book

How many average users (the ubuntu target-audience) would prefer to have
source code over an additional 400M of software?

I probably shouldn't have even replied to this as it's wildly off-topic.
But seriously you do spread a whole lot of FUD.

Cameron Matheson