Re: Opening and/or setting up XFree86 in Debian sarge

george5@georgesbasement.com wrote:
> For the umpteenth time I'm attempting to set up a Linux-based
> PC in order to do home office stuff, like write professional-
> looking reports, image editing and publishing, and webpage
> development.  No games, nothing requiring speed of any kind.
>
> I downloaded several ISO files, succeeded in converting them
> into readable (and for Disk 1, bootable) CD's with which I
> installed Debian.  That got me to the command prompt.  No sign
> of a GUI anywhere ...
>
> Then I got the system to recognize the network (Linksys router,
> DSL modem, WXP laptop also on the router) and to my astonishment,
> I managed to "complete" the installation of various packages
> via the Internet connection.  I even FTP'd XFree86's binaries
> and installed them.
>
> However, in spite of looking all over the place for the secret
> way of starting XFree86, I haven't a clue how to obtain a GUI.
> Still stuck at the command prompt.  No browser, nothing. When
> the Debian installer is running, there's all sorts of pretty
> screen colors & displays, but when it's left up to me, I'm
> still looking at a command prompt.

I've just read your post again.  Any software that you installed via FTP
outside apt (e.g. X) should be deleted.  Reinstall if there's lots of
it.  Once you've installed the packages referred to in my previous post,
just type startx at the shell prompt.