Opening and/or setting up XFree86 in Debian sarge

For the umpteenth time I'm attempting to set up a Linux-based
PC in order to do home office stuff, like write professional-
looking reports, image editing and publishing, and webpage
development.  No games, nothing requiring speed of any kind.

I downloaded several ISO files, succeeded in converting them
into readable (and for Disk 1, bootable) CD's with which I
installed Debian.  That got me to the command prompt.  No sign
of a GUI anywhere ...

Then I got the system to recognize the network (Linksys router,
DSL modem, WXP laptop also on the router) and to my astonishment,
I managed to "complete" the installation of various packages
via the Internet connection.  I even FTP'd XFree86's binaries
and installed them.

However, in spite of looking all over the place for the secret
way of starting XFree86, I haven't a clue how to obtain a GUI.
Still stuck at the command prompt.  No browser, nothing. When
the Debian installer is running, there's all sorts of pretty
screen colors & displays, but when it's left up to me, I'm
still looking at a command prompt.

I presume that I must configure XFree86 for my PC and then get
the other packages that I'll need - OpenOffice, Gimp, Mozilla -
but I need a reference or an explanation in plain English as
to how to start that process.

My previous attempts at Linux were stopped by having to get
drivers without an Internet connection.  Things have improved,
as nearly all the drivers appear to have been put where they're
accessible, thanks to the Debian team.

Thanks,
George Langford