Re: cdrom mount directory w/ kernel upgrade

Mark Grieveson wrote:
> Hello.  After I upgraded from kernel-image-2.4.27-2-386 to
> kernel-image-2.6.8-2-386, I find that I need to manually add the
> directory /media/cdrom0 (where the cdrom is mounted), whereas it used to
> automatically create this directory for mounting with the former
> kernel-image.  Any way of fixing this?

I fail to see the problem here... The directory where you mount the CD
is quite arbitrary, e.g., I always mount everything in /mnt/
subdirectories. The first day I want to mount something I create the
dir I want it mounted to, I add the corresponding entry in /etc/fstab,
and it stays forever... I never thought creating the dir automatically
was a feature, or failing to a bug; I always do it by hand. And,
however, you only do it once, right? And upgrading the kernel won't
remove any dir (e.g. /media/cdrom0) that was previously present, will
it?

The problem I could see is having missing _device_ files (say,
/dev/hdc) when upgrading the kernel (I wrote to another thread on the
subject), but not missing dirs...

    Basajaun