Re: Command line reference

On Mon, Oct 10, 2005 at 03:54:18PM -0600, Hodgins Family wrote:
> Good afternoon!
>
> >http://www.comptechdoc.org/os/linux/commands/
>
> Thanks for this link. Do you know how many of these commands are
> Debian-specific?

I'm coming in late on this thread so please excuse me if this has
already been said.

1. Most commands are not Debian or Redhat specific,
and are not even Linux specific. They come from a long UNIX tradition,
and they comply with a standard called POSIX. But commands specific
to a particular format of software packages are often specific to
a particular distribution.

2. Debian has quite good documentation available at
http://www.debian.org/doc/

I particularly recommend the Filesystem Hierarchy Standard (FHS),
which is available at
http://www.debian.org/doc/devel-manuals#policy

This document tells where, on the file system, each kind of file is to
be placed, and why. It helps a lot in learning how to find things.

Throughout the Debian documentation you will find that where Debian
differs from the 'other' distribution there is often a specific
recognition of the difference and an explanation for choosing the
Debian way.

If you like dead trees, you can print these docs.

Read these docs. You will see better why you like Debian. The way
something is done is not just the first idea that came into some
geek's slightly twisted mind.  Reasonable people have thought about
and discussed almost every aspect of the design.

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net